NAISMA Annual Conference
The 2017 NAISMA Annual Meeting will be held October 23-26, 2017 at the Nugget Hotel and Casino located in Sparks, NV just 10 minutes from the Reno airport and 50 minutes to Lake Tahoe.
Our 2017 Annual Meeting is a joint meeting with the Nevada Weed Management Association (NWMA).
Thank you NWMA for your local support!
Register Now Early Registration ends September 1!
Download the current agenda here.
The NAISMA Annual Meeting provides one of the best professional development opportunities for invasive species professionals in North America. Come ready to learn, recharge, get a new perspective on your challenges and opportunities, and leave energized to boost your invasive species management capabilities.
Expected attendance at the 2017 NAISMA Annual Meeting is 400+ invasive species managers, researchers, federal, state and local agency land managers and other representatives, nonprofits, and academics. NAISMA's annual meeting sponsor and Exhibit Information below.
Click here to sign up for an exhibit table and / or sponsorship.
A discounted hotel room block has been reserved at the Nugget for all meeting attendees for only $59 per night (includes a $10 resort fee). The Nugget provides complimentary shuttle service from the Reno-Tahoe International Airport to the Hotel and complimentary valet service as well.
Meeting attendees will enjoy the Nugget's newly renovated, spacious hotel rooms. All rooms have stunning views of Reno and the Sierra Nevadas. Free wifi is available throughout the hotel and casino. Several restaurants offer meeting attendees a chance to relax and enjoy a variety of cuisines, and an on-site pool, fitness center, and 24 hour gaming will provide plenty of entertainment after meeting sessions are over.
Click here to learn more about the Nugget or call 800-648-1177 to make your hotel reservation and mention NAISMA to the hotel reservation associate to get the meeting discount. Meeting attendees are welcome to come early and stay late to enjoy all that the beautiful Reno -Tahoe area has to offer.
The 2017 Annual Meeting Agenda is one of the largest in recent years. NAISMA aims to provide the highest level of training and professional networking for invasive species managers and practitioners in North America.
Highlights of this year's agenda include internationally renouned plenary speakers (scroll down to preview), a tour of Western Nevada's invasive species challenges in and around stunning Lake Tahoe, special sessions on local, regional and federal programs and partnerships, a PlayCleanGo summit, aquatic invasive species sessions, biocontrol updates, a plant control methods workshop with CEU credits available, new techniques, communication tools, and much more.
Click here to download the current meeting agenda.
Additional speakers will be added and some session times may change between now and September 1. Read below and download the agenda for meeting highlights including special plenary speakers, exhibit and sponsor opportunities.
(see discount opportunities below)
EARLY Registration is available through September 1
|Full Conference - Student
|One-Day - Student
|Plant Control Methods Workshop Only (CEU Credits available)
|Two-Day - Student
|Lake Tahoe Tour
|Awards Dinner (guest tickets may be purchased)
|LATE Registration (Starts September 2)
NAISMA members received disounted registration to the Annual Meeting
New NAISMA members will receive a code to get the following discount, depending on your level of membership. Renewing members have already received the code.
10% off for NAISMA Regular Members
15% off for NAISMA Sustaining Members
ADDITIONAL 5% off for NAISMA Members who bring a first-time Annual Meeting Attendee! The new attendee will indicate their meeting "host" on their registration form so that the host receives the 5% discount
NAISMA Membership can be added through the Online Meeting Registration on the "Agenda" page of the registration
New and Renewing NAISMA Members can use the discount code for a reduced Meeting fee
Volunteers are needed for several shifts throughout the meeting to assist with registration, check in, silent auction set up, presentations, and directing attendees to meeting rooms.
Call 414-967-1350 if you are interested in volunteering. Volunteers who work 3 hours will get 50% off registration or a complimentary one-day meeting pass. Volunteers who work 6 hours will get a full registration. Preference will be given to individuals who are students or work for non-profit organizations.
Special Guest Plenary Speakers
PlayCleanGo® Summit Keynote - Monday, October 23, 2017; 4:15 pm - 4:45 pm
Getting Results with Behavior Science - Ken Donnelly, Owner, Beyond Attitude Consulting Inc.
Preventing the spread of invasive species often includes the need to change behaviors of individuals who may be a pathway, often unknowingly. Behavioral psychology scientists know that understanding the issue alone is not enough to change behavior. If it were, we would be eating healthier foods and living more active lifestyles, as we know that we would be healthier and would likely live longer. But knowledge doesn't necessarily translate into correct behavior. The key to behavior change is to target the desired behavior itself, and not just educating people about the issue. This presentation describes how to employ techniques from behavioral psychology science to the task of achieving (not just promoting) preferred action in PlayCleanGo
Ken Donnelly is the President of Beyond Attitude Consulting, a Canadian-owned firm with clients across Canada and around the world. Ken works with government and non-governmental organizations to foster positive individual behaviors, primarily in the areas of environment, health, transportation and occupational health and safety. For 24 years Ken has been combining research and behavioral psychology to develop effective Community-Based Social Marketing (CBSM) programs for his clients. In addition, for the past 18 years he has taught and trained people in CBSM principles across Canada, in the UK and in the Caribbean. The Beyond Attitude website includes a blog on behavior change. Ken also publishes a free weekly electronic bulletin on behavior change, which has subscribers from around the world, and can be subscribed to at the website: www.beyondattitude.com.
Welcome Keynote - Tuesday, October 24, 2017; 8:30 am - 9:00 am
You Have One Minute: Making Invasive Stories Stick in an Era of Information Overload
Matt Miller, Science Communications Director, The Nature Conservancy
The good news: people want to know how they can help with the invasive species problem. The bad news: you have one minute to catch their attention. How can you get your message to stand out in an era of information overload? Unfortunately, many outreach efforts focus their time on audiences that don’t actually exist, using communications tools that are outdated or uninteresting. And if your audience isn’t interested, they’ll move on to something else. Quickly.
But fear not. The information age is your friend, and can help you reach the people who matter most to your invasive species efforts. Matt Miller, director of science communications for The Nature Conservancy, will share the secrets of creating messages and stories that stick. He’ll break down the ingredients of a successful invasive species story as well as tips on how to avoid common communications pitfalls. Along the way, he’ll share stories of invasive species work around the world. Most of all, you’ll think about framing your own work in new ways, and have fun doing so.
Matt Miller is director of science communications for The Nature Conservancy. He is responsible for telling the stories of the Conservancy’s research programs around the globe, including many invasive species outreach, detection and management projects. He is the editor and feature writer for the popular Cool Green Science blog and a regular columnist for Nature Conservancy Magazine. Mattpreviously worked for 11 years as the director of communications for the Conservancy’s Idaho Chapter, where he also served as the first chair of the Governor’s Idaho Weed Awareness Campaign. A graduate of Penn State, Matt brings 25 years experience in feature writing, blogging, media relations and media training. He has traveled to 6 continents in his search for unusual wildlife and good stories. An avid hunter, angler and naturalist, he lives in Boise, Idaho with his wife and young son.
Exhibitors receive generous packages including complimentary meeting registrations. Read below for exhibit opportunities. Click here to register for an exhibit.
All Table, Nonprofit and Booth Exhibitors will receive the following benefits:
- Logo placement on conference website
- Name and logo displayed in conference program and at plenary luncheon
- Exhibit booth or display table space
- Exhibitor ribbons on name tags
- One full conference registration ($250 value!)
- Up to two additional registrations for $175 each
- Logo placement on conference website
Booth Exhibitor: $900
- A draped, 10’ x 10’ exhibit area, with one clothed and draped 8’ table
- A second full complementary registration
Table Exhibitor: $595
- One clothed and draped 8’ table plus 2 chairs
Nonprofit Exhibitor: $400
- Same benefits as regular Table Exhibitor
Sponsors are critical to the success of the Annual Meeting. Click here to register as a sponsor.
All Annual Meeting Sponsors receive the following benefits:
- Logo placement on conference announcements, publications and website with a link to your website
- Logo displayed in conference program
- Logo displayed on prominent signage at the event
- Exhibit booth space ($900 value!)
- Sponsor ribbons on name badges to recognize your company’s contribution
Additional benefits per tiered sponsor level include:
Prevention Sponsor: $1,250
- Receive 2complimentary full conference registrations
- Your company will be recognized as a sponsor of a concurrent session
- Your company logo will appear on signage outside the session room
Identification Sponsor: $2,500
- Receive 4complimentary full conference registrations
- Your company will sponsor a morning or afternoon break during which all attendees will see your logo prominently displayed at the refreshment area
- Quarter-page ad in conference program
Plan of Attack Sponsor: $5,000
- Receive 6 complimentary full conference registrations
- Your company will sponsor the Monday Welcome Reception or Tuesday Exhibitor Reception
- All attendees will see your company name in several locations during lunch
- Half-page ad in conference program
- In addition—your company logo will be displayed on the third tier of sponsor logos on a take-home keepsake that all 350+ attendees will receive
Control Sponsor: $7,500
- Receive 8 complimentary full conference registrations
- Your company will sponsor the Wednesday Lunch
- All attendees will recognize your company name in several locations around the buffet area; speaking opportunity at the reception
- Half-page ad in conference program
- In addition —Your company logo on will be displayed on second tier of sponsor logos on a take-home keepsake that all 500+ attendees will receive
Eradication Sponsor: $10,000
- Receive 12 complimentary full conference registrations
- Your company will sponsor the Wednesday Awards Dinner
- Company logo will appear on screen during the plenary
- In addition—Your company logo on the top tier of sponsor logos on a take-home keepsake that all 500+ attendees will receive
- Full-page ad in conference program
- AND—a speaking opportunity during the Wednesday Awards Dinner
Additional or partial sponsorship opportunities are available such as sponsoring the tour, a break, special session, reception, or other marketing opportunity.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Belle Bergner, NAISMA Executive Director