The NAISMA Weed Free Forage and Gravel program is the only program in North America that maintains a list of standards that provide land managers assurance that noxious weeds will not be spread through the movement of forage, hay, mulch, or gravel brought in to the property. The goals of the Weed Free Forage and Gravel program are (1) to provide a guideline for the minimum requirements of certifying that forage, hay, and gravel are weed-free; and (2) to ensure uniform training and participation of the provinces and states in the program.
The Weed Free Forage and Gravel standards are designed:
- to provide some assurance to all participants that forage and/ or gravel certified through this program meets a minimum acceptable standard.
- to provide continuity between the various provinces and states in the program.
- to limit the spread of noxious weeds through forage, mulch, and gravel.
Many federal, state, and local lands require the use of certified weed free forage and gravel on their properties. Partnering agencies are welcome to include additional species and standards to their own programs. MOU holders are simply required to meet the minimum standards as described below.
How To Become a Participating Agency and Certified Inspector
3. Authorized representative of MOU agency fills out and pays Weed Free Forage and / or Gravel Program Fee ($100) here. Program fee is required annually by the end of the calendar year for current certification.
4. All inspectors of a participating agency with current MOU are required to either attend the NAISMA Weed Free Forage and Gravel training at the Annual Meeting every 3 years or take the online training. Inspectors, upon passing the inspection training quiz, will receive an inspector training certificate good for 3 years. Inspectors: click here to register for the online training.
Participating MOU Agency or Organization:
Register for the Weed Free Forage and / or Gravel Standards Program and pay program fee here after you have sent in your MOU (download form below).
Register and pay for the training and Inspector License Fee here. You will be receive login information to take the training within 2 business days of receipt of your registration.
Weed Free Forage and Gravel Program Documents are listed below.
Are you looking to purchase Certified Weed Free Forage or Gravel?
Click on the state link(s) below to go directly to the state agency pages.
States and Provinces in Accordance with North American Weed Free Forage Standards
Contact Marsha Watland, WFF&G Coordinator at 218-847-9392 for more information.