North American Invasive Species Management Association
Weed Free Forage & Gravel Program
The NAISMA Weed Free Forage and Gravel program is the only program in North America that provides land managers with assurance that noxious weeds will not be spread through the movement of forage, hay, mulch, or gravel brought in to the property. WFF&G maintains a list of standards, provides guidelines, and ensures uniform training and participation.
Many federal, state, and local lands require the use of certified weed free forage and gravel on their properties. Partnering agencies are welcome to include additional species and standards to their own programs. MOU holders are simply required to meet the minimum standards as described.
The Weed Free Forage and Gravel standards are designed:
- to provide some assurance to all participants that forage and/or gravel certified through this program meets a minimum acceptable standard.
- to provide continuity between the various provinces and states in the program.
- to limit the spread of noxious weeds through forage, mulch, and gravel.
Please email Dave Burch, WFF&G Program manager at email@example.com with any questions.
Find your State Agency — Purchase Weed Free Forage or Gravel
Agency and Inspector Information
Participating agencies must be a unit of government—such as a state Department of Agriculture, County Government, Crop Improvement Association that is contracted by the state, or other government entity—that regulates prohibited weeds. Participating agencies may participate in Weed Free Forage, Weed Free Gravel, or both certification programs.
MOU Agencies or Organizations
To become a NAISMA Weed Free Forage & Gravel state:
- Download the Memorandum of Understanding. Select Weed Free Forage or Weed Free Gravel Program or both on the MOU form. Participating agencies may participate in one or both certification programs.
- The authorized agency representative fills out, scans, and emails MOU to firstname.lastname@example.org or mails to NAISMA, 1123 N. Water St., 4th Floor, Office #9, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
To maintain your state’s Weed Free Forage & Gravel program:
- Authorized representative of MOU agency identifies inspectors who will participate in the Weed Free Forage and Gravel training and sends email addresses of inspectors to email@example.com.
Authorized representative of MOU agency pays Weed Free Forage and/or Gravel Program Fee ($100) here. Program fee is required annually by the end of the calendar year for current certification.
To become a Weed Free Forage & Gravel inspector:
All inspectors of a participating agency with current MOU are required to either:
- Attend the NAISMA Weed Free Forage and Gravel training at the Annual Meeting every 3 years, or
- Complete training online every 3 years. Click here to register for training.
If you are an inspector from a participating state and need to take the online training, sign up for online training here. You will receive login information to take the training within 2 business days of receiving payment.
Inspectors, upon passing the inspection training quiz, will receive an inspector training certificate good for 3 years.
- Weed Free Forage and/or Gravel MOU
- Weed Free Forage Inspection Form
Note: Program participants can customize the Inspection Form to meet local needs. Appendix B from Minimum Standards must be included.
- Weed Free Forage Minimum Standards
- Weed Free Gravel Minimum Standards
- Weed Free Gravel Pit Inspection Form
- Weed Free Forage Brochure